Friday, September 2, 2011

Swans A-Swimming: Enjoying Nature


I need to make a point of getting out into nature more often.


I'm very fortunate to live near several conservation areas, yet don't explore them nearly often enough. Earlier this week, the day before the the window incident, a friend and I took a walk that included forest, meadows, and these lovely creatures by the water. (I can never look at swans without thinking of Hans Christian Anderson and his ugly duckling story.)



There is something so soothing about looking into the eye of a beautiful, white swan, then spotting the dangling droplet of water just about ready to fall from its beak. Any second now...

This is one thing I like about blogging: I have people with whom I can share these photographs. I hope you enjoy seeing them.



I want to take more and more photos, because I'm noticing the details of things around me. Here, beads of water softy shimmer on a backdrop of delicate, damp, gray feathers.



It's time for me to wander off for awhile.

I hope you'll leave a comment; it's a real treat to read your reaction, whether its a memory triggered, an observation made, or simply a chance to say that you were here. 

Please visit again soon,
Karen


10 comments:

  1. I always enjoy nature pictures and swans are so lovely to look at. Thanks for sharing. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing those photos. They are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your photographs they are beautiful.

    The swans are so graceful.

    Have a good weekend.

    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karen,

    How lovely! What a wonderful walk you had and I love that you brought your camera! Do all of us bloggers do that? :)

    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Karen
    I love the close ups you took of the swans and I too thought of the ugling duckling story.
    If one enjoys gardening, they ultimately appreciate wildlife as well and I'm glad you shared these photos.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! There's definitely something so romantic about swans. That's why children's stories and ballets have been written about them. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only saw very small cygnets in the wild, not like this one. Thank you for sharing!

    It reminded me of a beautiful song:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr5EB0k0y1I
    if you have time, you can listen to this piano-flute-vocal song, there's a little about an ugly duckling in it :)

    Ekaterina, Finland

    ReplyDelete
  8. swans are so elegant and what a great shot of the grey one. Love it.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful pictures. I can tell you from experience though that swans are best observed from a distance. They are very protective mothers and not a big fan of kayaks!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...