Thursday, December 8, 2011

A Christmasy Post, Gone Belly-Up!


They say, "It's the thought that counts." 

There I was, in my kitchen, still in my blue flannel jammies with the frolicking sheep on them (I know, I know, but I like sheep and flannel jammies) ready to bake some shortbread cookies.

I'm off to a friend's later this morning, with a pretty ornament for her tree, and had planned to take some fresh shortbread to her.


Alas, plans change.

This is the beast. 
The hand mixer that decided to growl, 
to spin on one side only, 
to clatter 
and roar
in its feeble, failing, fruitless attempt to move both attachments in unison.

So, the flour (wheat and rice) has been put in containers, as has the butter and fruit sugar. 
It's off for lunch I go, 
one hand empty, 
with plans to shop for a hand mixer tomorrow.

 If you have a favourite workhorse you could recommend, please let me know.

I've read gorgeous posts about holiday planning, where things seemingly go off without a hitch. 
Mine is a minor one.
I'm smiling, a good friend awaits, and the hand mixer didn't give up the ghost on Christmas day!

Warm Wishes!
-Karen

11 comments:

  1. Hi Karen
    I have been using a Kitchen Aid stand mixer for years and they have really come down in price since I bought mine. For attachments it has a wire whip, blending/beating paddle and a dough hook. It's big and heavy so should sit out on the counter if you have the room.
    There are lots of sales on right now - happy shopping!
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you had a great time with your friend. As you say 'It's the thought that counts' and it didn't happen on Christmas Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, I love sheep and flannel jammies too :).
    Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, You did have the gift so you weren't empty handed. I hope you had a good time with your friend.
    I have snow angels on my flannel jammies. :0)
    Happy shopping.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. The shortbread can wait - you have your priorities right, and time with a friend is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Karen, "without a hitch" is NOT my kind of holiday or life for that matter and it is SO refreshing to see this in blogland. ;) I LOVE IT!!!...sorry for your troubles, but I love it. :)
    Thank you for stopping by. Glad you liked Scholarly Bear. ;)
    Enjoly your weekend, oh, and shortbread is my favorite cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have a hand mixer. I have an old Sunbeam stand mixer I got from Target ages ago. And of course it's red!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is what I have to do very soon. I bought a Kitchen aid but have only used it twice. I still tend to do things by hand. Don;t know why. Its hard work when you do a lot. I think I like a hand mixer over the big thing that has to be dragged out but maybe this year it will earn its keep
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,Karren.
    Thank you for letting me join you,today!
    I have to be back in my kitchen and try that right away. I am smilimg too!
    Tomoko from Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, the dreaded sound of a kitchen appliance going wrong, just when you need it!! (For me the last time it was my blender, when I'd just filled it up with soup!) But as you say, plans can easily be changed and all is still just fine. I hope you had a wonderful time with your friend, and are enjoying the rest of your weekend too. (Your Christmas tree and decorations pictures are lovely, I've just been catching up!) Wishing you a happy week ahead.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Karen,
    I had a Sunbeam mixer that was 18 years old and going strong, until my son decided to make his own protein bar recipe and burned out the motor!!!!! Sorry you couldn't make your shortbread. Hope you had a nice time with your friend. Have a great week!
    -Lynn

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...